Thread: Sarasota Crew
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Danny,

The last thing you need to worry about is gear at this point. Once you have taken some lessons you will have your own idea about will work. Until then it is quite likely that you will buy the wrong kite size for the conditions you are going after. Finally, there is a ton of good quality used gear out there IF you know what to look for.

Empty beaches are great, then again if you are dumb enough to go solo, if something goes wrong there you are. I did this myself in 2000 and wandered around for 5 hours off my head after being lofted 80 ft. into the side of a house in a 60 mph gust. I needed to be in the ER with a serious brain hemorrhage but was delayed for a dangerously long time because I was alone. I had been kiting for two years at that point by the way. A helmet saved my life, barely.

Get the best lessons you can find. They cost but even at 17 you should see the worth of it. Read over this site, you will find many reasons. You can better manage the hazards with knowledge, going in without training is a very bad idea.

Think about it.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi