View Single Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:15 AM

I started kiting in May 07. Great instructor by the way!

Last year, I wasn't confident enough with my riding skills to take on the challenge of the TBKM event.

This year I was ready to take the challenge.

I gotta be honest, when I saw the forecast Sat night, and the conditions in the Gulf... I thought "damn I hope I can finish this". I've NEVER done a downwinder, NEVER riden a kite in the gulf in 30+ mph conditions, NEVER been in a race. But I was "in it to finish"

I helped Mike H. launch his 12m SB3 and was able to hand him his board as he was dragged downwind. (BTW... CONGRATS MAN!) Then I launched my 10m and made it successfully thru the break. I chose to ride on the outside of the break in the massive seas. I lost by board twice, found it!! Actually have kitecam pics of myself as the board was seperated!! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1576662917

LOL! As I rounded the bend, I wished I had a 12m kite rigged.. oh well.

I'm completely STOKED to have finished my first downwinder, and completed the most challenging physical event of my life.

Now I'm ready to do it again, and next year I'll be IN IT TO WIN IT BABY!

EDIT: Anyone know stats about how many registered racers/# or racers that launched vs # of racers that finished?

"The biggest drawback of kiteboarding is the adverse effects it has on getting anything else done."

Last edited by Todd RT; 03-04-2009 at 05:57 AM.