View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I got the impression that Mike's technique might have been setup for land purposes, i.e. "maintaining constant pressure on the front lines climb up both front lines until you get to the kite" Although this could easily be done on the water as I am sure you routinely do. I suspect with some kite models it would work better than others. For instance my old Crossbow I, would jump quite a bit, unlike my Switchblade I which is quieter. As I recall the Waroo, not the Waroo Pro, is fairly quiet as well.

I wouldn't try this approach with either a Waroo Pro or Crossbow I, have to check it out with the Switchblade I. I suspect the Contra I would also be pretty quiet as long as it didn't roll downwind. I have no clue about the newer kites.

As far as pulling the kite towards you on a boat, this is something I suspect you have done a lot. At the same time, I can't help but recall the guy, a big, heavy guy who was pulling an old C kite in by ALL FOUR LINES (doh!), over the back of a boat. This was years back in the Keys. The kite relaunched, lifting him off the deck by his pinkie finger until it was ripped off his hand. I understand it was reattached, good thing.

I know it is apples and oranges with the only common factor pulling the kite in. Still, if that puppy powers up for any reason and you get tangled, ouch! Does someone first wrap a wingspan of the lines from one side of the kite, just in case it does relaunch somehow?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi