View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 09:39 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just a thought: art is as much a part of kiteboarding as the technicalities of the sport. I was thinking about it and it's in: the clothing fashion, videos, magazines, product design, rider photos.

Without all of the cool looking art kiteboarding would look a lot like this page with text on it, pretty boring. Art makes kiteboarding what it is today, and people make art. I find it totally fascinating what man/womankind can come up with. Good stuff!

Lindy
Art is an integral part. Writing reviews for the last few years at Surf Expo. , I have been impressed by how sensitive folks are to board, kite and gear graphics. I have heard people focus on the relative quality and appearence of graphics to the exclusion of performance characteristics.

This may be obvious to some folks but it was a bit of a revelation to me. Years ago, people would say, "what a nice looking sail" or later, "what a pretty kite." WHAT does that have to do with performance would slide through my mind at that time. Still, good looking products are important, even to me!

Different strokes for different folks. I have little doubt that the focus on artistic graphics is NOT a revelation to concept designers and marketers with the manufacturers. They have been tuned into the consumer appeal of these attributes for some time.

It goes beyond graphics however, well beyond. Spectators are drawn to our sport by the dynamic appearence it offers. Art is all around us, sometimes we just need to tune in a bit.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi