View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 02:53 PM

i think the bands could work but definitely need work and agreement. However, i think the reverse colors would be better like a traffic light. If you see a red rider you should watch out and look both ways. A yellow...stay a safe distance and use caution but not a hazard. Green bands mean you can sail thru being confident that the green rider is a competent and safe rider.

The part about the downwinder makes sense but i don't think most of our safety issues exist with downwinders. its with crowded launches with hazards. these would only need to be posted at the major launches in the area. (EB,skyway,lassing,PAG? etc)

The tags on the board would identify the rider and the kite they were flying. When you arrive, you walk (don't need to be every 300 feet) to the board, check in and see people's info. and add your own. When you come in to take a break (every couple hours or so) you take another look at the board if you notice a lot of different/new kiters on the water since you started.

Another feature that we used at the harbor i worked at in the keys was to write weather forecasts for that day and possibly the next. Just like in boating, if its windy, they put out small craft advisories. If it is gusty and possibly hazardous wind, we can point that out on the boards so that when people arrive they have suggestions. such as "very gusty, onshore wind...not recommended for green riders".

Just throwing out thoughts as well...