View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 08:52 AM

Default What do you remember?

This is something good to write about. C.Moore told me to go online and check out the posts on the race. I laughed so hard(Stacey) that I felt the need to post myself... so, here goes...

Friends told me that the person who took last place was mentioned not only in Billy's (WAY TO GO) article giving him massive congratulations, but by other fun loving kiters who realize the importance of doing clean up, rolling up the carpet, turning out the lights, and coming in last place, no matter how long it takes! You guys made it tough this year. And, this only shows what a great community of kiters we have when the last place finisher (even if they called me a chap) gets mentioned right along with the best of the best.

Steve-O, I have to say that you gave me a good run for the money by having a "kiting emergency" and going ashore. The thought would never have occurred to me. I wish you better luck next time. Also, maybe next time I will stop off at The Frog Pond in Redington Beach for a bite to eat as you suggest. Such creative thinking!

Rick I., For some people the most important thing about the race was what place they took when they crossed the finish line. There were some incredible feats accomplished during this race! For others (well me), it was enough to cross the finish line itself. I can't remember feeling better! I had my best ride yet. I ENJOYED THE RIDE!!!!! It will be hard to top. I had almost 4 1/2 hours of uninterupted time on the water, in challenging conditions, with my thoughts and fears, and the dolphins at Redington Beach.

Yes, in retrospect, I could have gone faster, taken more chances, and finished sooner. But I wouldn't trade the ride I had for anything!

[Each and every rider in the Tampa Bay Kitemasters Race faced down a few demons that day!]

ADVICE FOR OTHER RIDERS:

1.) Attempt to do something you believe is beyond your grasp. Once you do it, Immediately Dream Bigger!

2.) By all means hook up a board leash for conditions including 10-foot swells and gusts up to 30. Then, once you have it attached to your harness like I did, forget to attach it to your board until 1/2 way through the race. At that point, seriously ponder when and where is a good place to take a small break to get your leash attached without the swells swallowing you whole. Finally, attach your leash to your board once you see what you are facing at John's Pass because you believe it will make your body easier to locate by the Coast Guard or some wandering fisherman next week. This worked for me! And, I feel like I deserve a little gold star for not only taking last place but for the miraculous feat of
never losing my board!

3.) Always help your fellow kiters in need. This makes us a stronger kiting community.

And, last but not least, (pun intended) a huge load of thank you's goes to Jayson and Julie, Chris M, Amber, Tammy, Chris S., and everyone else who threw in time, effort, money and for those who showed up just to cheer on the riders.

This was an incredibly successful event! Looking forward to the next one.