View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 07:08 AM

My first post on the forum. I was told to tell this story. First race by the way.

So I am crusing along working past the Redington pier. Notice kite is loosing air. Work into the beach and have an old guy help me get the kite down. He instantly goes for the bar. Whoa! Anyways, after inspection of kite, notice IN valve is almost out and leaking air. Make the decision to put the valve back in, and try to finish. Bad idea.....after five minutes....out to sea of course....kite just doesn't have enough pressure to keep shape. No relaunch...no nothing...dead in the water. Of course then the kiters behind me start coming. One after another. Many stopped to see if I need help....don't know who they were...but thanks for trying. Never done a self rescue, but seen in so many times on the Real DVD at the shop.....worked like a charm. So I am cruising in flying the kite by hand. Took about 15 min to get to where the waves are breaking. Little did I know there is a frenzy on the beach of lights and people. Then the helicopter shows up. I turn around and an inflatable dingy with 3 firemen are ready to "rescue" me. Ok I do appreciate it guys, but I am like 15 yds from shore and getting ready to be pounded by the shoulder high waves breaking on the bar. Told them I was cool, and to just let me get in. They insisted that I needed help. In my mind, I don't really want a boat with a prop near me in the pounding surf. In their mind....their thinking "save the poor lad!!!" So they throw a rope and yell at me to grab it. Keep in mind I have a board and a kite in hand...oh yeah and waves getting ready to pound us all. So I manage to grab the rope and it begins to pull so hard that I can't hang on. I look up and the boat full of men disappear over the falls. After the wave levels out, I see a boat upside down, with three rescuers in the water. I hate to say it, but I told you so. So they get to the beach, get the boat sucured, get back out, and help me in the last 10 feet or so. Side note....I have had some near drownings in Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, and Hawaii in double overhead surf. No one to rescue me then. Not bitter, but just ironic. Anyway, the guys were cool and asked if I needed anything....drink...money...cell phone. I saw the fire truck and asked "You guys got a compressor?" You can imagine the look on there faces. They kind of blew me off, but I kept asking and sure enough one guy bit. So to put it simply, they got my kite back to pressure, launched me off and I finished the race dead last. Well before PJ...but I am convinced she stops for lunch along the way. It was a memorable race for sure and a big shout out to the Fire Department of Redington shores. I could have been in alot of trouble and was glad they were there just in case. Billy.....you da man!!!!!!!