View Single Post
Old 01-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

I have yet to make it down there but I spoke with Tom with Capt. Kirks Resort in La Ventana, http://www.captainkirks.com/resort/resort.html

This is what he had to say. For March, he would expect about 15 kts. for several hours each day. Winds may boost to 35 kts.+ at times however. He said as the wind is often side to slightly side off the wind can be punchy on the bay side with a gust range. He said Kirk, who weighs about 185 lbs. and lives there spends most of his time on an 8 m kite. He suggested bringing your 13 m in the hope that you won't need it. Your 9 m may cover things if you are careful depending on your weight. Or, you may want to bring something smaller as well. I would try to research that further locally for March. I asked about the surfboard, he said the bay side is fairly calm with 3 to 4 foot waves about once or so a week. He also said you might rent a surfboard if you were so inclined. He did say you might consider driving to the Pacific Ocean side to Todo Santos about an 1 1/2 hour away if you wanted to some large waves. I don't know that many people kite there however but it is a surfing spot.

Have a good trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russky View Post
I will be in Cabo San Lucas (Mexico, Baja California) area for a week in the end of March... mostly for diving/spearfishing.

La Ventana and Los Barriles (world class kiting spots) are just a couple of hour away - so, of course, I am thinking of taking kiting gear, too.

Questions...
1. Do I need to bother with bringing a surfboard? Love to kitesurf waves but are there any kite-able ones on the Sea of Cortez?

2. Will I need a big kite there (my "big" one is Ozone Edge 13m).
Will a 9m only be enough?

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi