View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 04:17 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thanks for the heads up. Did you see the 21 sharks clustered just east of the reef rimming Bathtub marked by the breakers? This location is about 2 miles south of where Steve Schafer was attacked by a bull or tiger shark while kiting.

It sounds like you might fly this area regularly? Outside of the normal spring shark migrations how often do you see sharks along this stretch? Dumb question, are you sure they were bull sharks? Bulls have more attitude than other sharks and potentially issues to go with as you know. I had trouble identifying one in a photo about six feet away underwater which is why I ask. They would be big enough to be bulls over spinners or blacktips from your estimates but if you take out the 33% size enlargement, they fall into spinner size again. Even if they are spinners, bulls and tigers seem to hang around them for the odd snack. I understand the spinners and blacktips head back south after pupping off the Carolinas in the fall. Maybe they were part of that movement.

Another dumb question, will the lifeguards at Bathtub let you ride close to the beach? I assume they're back after the beach restoration?

Regardless of quibbling about what type of shark, 21 tiburons are a lot of sharks particularly together and worth taking precautions over. Thanks again!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 11-24-2010 at 08:33 AM.