View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM

Cool Gandy Launch

As a South Tampa Kiter, I'd like to weigh in on the Gandy launch, as I was one of the ones riding there that Tuesday.

The hazards are real. The oyster beds follow the channel on the South side. And are either exposed or just under the surface. And there are a lot of oysters there.

The powerlines are right next to the major highway where the slow traffic is going 60mph.

There are channel markers in the way.

Did not see boats, but the launch is right by the channel, so it's a matter of when, not if.

That said, the South wind was 10-12kts and building as we set up.

This launch is a perfect example of knowing your skills and riding within your envelope of experience and abilities.

As the newest member of our South Tampa Crew, it was my first time riding there. My total kiting experience is a year and a half.

Having ridden most Tampa area launch sites as well as Islamorada's Whale harbor and Anne's Beach, I felt qualified to ride at that launch.

While the hazards are very real, a solid intermediate kiter, can negotiate the hazards with relative safety.

Anyone who's been to West Skyway has seen big oyster beds and channel markers to avoid.

Been to Cypress? Channel markers, jetties, crab traps, oyster beds, and deceptive shallows.

Picnic Island? Just launching for riding the South bay is an experience. Climbing a mangrove tree bafefoot to retrieve your stranded kite is something I've witnessed and have no desire to experience.

Sunset Beach? If you have a problem just off the west side of that beach, you are in deep water and need to have your self rescue techniques ready. Yeah, you'll end up in the shallows soon enough, but that big rockpile to the south will not do your fancy kite any favors.

Fred Howard? If you can't stay upwind and get outside, you'll have to try to land on the swimming beach. ALWAYS a BAD idea. That launch is threatened by kiters who do that.

East Beach? I GREAT learning area, BUT, any good day will find 20-50 kites in the air, and another 15-30 on the beach. NOT a good place to just launch and hope for the best.

So, what to do? Where to go?

Go to Watersports West, (I have no affiliation, btw) and get signed up for lessons with Steve-o. Truly among the best instructors you will find. Get your skills honed. Get your practice time in at safer launches. NOT GANDY.

Get some new launches and experience under your belt.

Really learn to fly that kite with a dedicated instructor helping you remain safe while doing so.

Then, after you have your skills down. Upwind no problem. Self land and launch safely. Self rescue. Emergency procedures.

Then maybe the Gandy Launch is occaisonally doable.

I rode Tuesday until the wind was 16-18 kts and getting too much for my big kite. I landed with a friend's help, even though my self-landing sand auger was in place just in case.

Packed up and was home in time for lunch.

Not the best launch, I agree wholeheartedly. But by remaining within my envelope of skills and experience, I had an enjoyable and safe day on the water.