View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 09:48 PM

After Gabe's mishap at the Skyway, I too am interested in 5th line type safety. I learned on 4 and 5 line kites, but like many moved to SLE kites for there performance qualities, wind range, relaunch, ect. We discussed this issue in great detail at the PASA instructor clinic in Hatteras and it was agreed that this is an issue with safety and being overlooked by kite companies. The safety systems work when all is normal, but the problem is you need them to work when all hell breaks loose. For many of the SLE's on the market, it means chucking your kite and hoping it lands somewhere without consequence.

I am very excited about the SS Rev. They have been quite innovative over the years, so they may still have some fight left in them. If I can fly a kite with the range of an SLE, speed and feel of a C, and safety of a 5th line, then I am all about it.

I hope more companies will address this issue and realize that there is still much work to be done in keeping this sport as safe as possible. Think of all the issues over the past month with kites on the highway that may have been avoided with better designed safety systems on SLE's. Slingshot has set the bar many times in the past, and they really may be on to something for the future of kiting. With most things, it will be up to the kiter's to decide where the market is headed.