View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM

It may not be the best time of year for kiting, but there's still plenty of stuff to practice on all summer long.
I have gotten 5 or 6 people in the last week comfortable rigging,flying, launching/landing, simulated water start, etc. in 10 knots or less. I don't do the water part of the lesson in the Gulf, but they have something to chew on while waiting for good wind. Once its here, they are ready to body drag and water start and every one of them knows the self rescue procedure, even before hitting the water.
After doing these "beach lessons", they can fly the kite pretty well and thier comprehension of what they are reading is also WAY up, because they have experienced handling/flying the kite firsthand. They understand sheeting in and out and its effect on steering, and stalling the kite. Light wind is better for this and there's no immediate danger as long as its a safe location.

Please remember that when practicing on the Gulf beaches- even at 100' offshore, your kite will crash right on the beach users and swimmers. If you are practicing body drags and water starts in the Gulf, please go outside the swim buoys. The safety discussion at the cookout will cover this and other safety tips.
Some might say I posted this to make $$$, but its quite the contrary. I have more lessons than I will ever be able to do, and not asking for a per hour fee. (A 20 knot day when I am really itching to ride might cost ya though! (haha)
I have been meeting up with students at Treasure Island (101st) and going through the basics. Come and check it out to see if you learn something at no charge. If you feel like you did, then you may donate whatever to TBKA. If not, no worries.... At least you got to fly a kite and are learning safely.