View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Skyway Scott

That's how I see it too, Danny. I view riding in sub 13 as really just sight seeing. Big kite, slightly smaller, all you are doing is mowing either way. One way might feel more powered, but you are still rarely leaving the water's surface. But, if it picks up to "fun wind", you are already to rock, just by switching boards. I have zero interest in having to switch kites right when the wind gets good.

Around here, where it goes from 11 to 20 in a heartbeat (and quite frequently on Easts), I don't want to be re-rigging when the good stuff hits.

It's more of a philosophy or approach, not so much anything else.
Also, if riding hooked in all the time, it's not so crucial if you are on a larger kite (15m) when it picks up. I could hold that down to 25 knots, and did just that for a full season on my 15m Hyper. My mind set regarding bigger kites in 20 knots has changed quite a bit once I started unhooking though. Unhooking overpowered just isn't really do-able (at least not for me). Meanwhile, riding hooked in litt out of your mind is easy peezy with today's kites.

I guess it depends on your mind set regarding riding overpowered. I don't have much fun if I can't unhook, so riding overpowered gets boring for me. It use to be a blast though, so I can see both sides to the "rig big" approach.
Ok, I am obviously procrastinating a project I am not wanting to do. :roll: