View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM
Skyway Scott

In terms of unhooking, my take is this. (could be wrong, but it's how it feels to me)
If the Hybrid is a real rocket launching jumper, like the Hyper Type, it's a challenge to unhook on it. Basically something like the Hyper Type always wants to quickly zoom to the edge of the window and quickly. This makes it an upwind machine and a great jumper, but when unhooked on it, makes things more difficult. Imagine edging, popping and then getting a turbo boost while you are in the air (sounds good, until you realize you don't want to come down at Mach 4 )

The Flexi Ion2 is the exact opposite. It jumps well, don't get me wrong, but it is "happy" where it's at, and doesn't desire to shoot anywhere real fast. The Ion2 is an awesome unhooked kite. When you edge and pop, you basically know what to expect at the moment of popping off the water. I haven't ever felt surprised unhooking on a Flexi. They are very predictable.
I actually just ordered the 12.5m Ion 2 a few days ago.

The waroo 08 is the Ion2 on steroids in my opinion (somewhere b/n a Hyper and the Flexi). It's a little faster, a little more explosive on jumps, but still manageable for unhooked. At it's top end though, it becomes more difficult to unhook on it (at my weight) compared to the Flexi Ion2. It's pretty good at all stuff, where as (of the kites I have ridden) the Flexi is the king of the unhooked kites, imo. It is beyond smooth and exceptionally predictable.

I haven't tried the new Cabs yet. I am sure they are good.

My take on the unhooked stuff is that in general if a kite wants to explode off the water and boost to the moon, it probably won't be all that easy to manage unhooked (especially in gusty winds). If it is much more predictable and stable, it is most likely a better unhooking candidate. I would try to demo kites, including the Ion2 and Ion3 and Cabs. If you find a kite you like, get it.

Oh, I will probably fly the 12.5 Ion2 on the fifth line for the safety of it. It's one reason I got it.
So, that's the 3 unhooked trick's guy take on unhooking on hybrids.