View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd RT View Post
Can the local shops help us out by sharing this info with the students in their "intro to kiteboarding" classes? Steve-O?

When I was in Wrightsville Beach and asked the local shop about riding locations (there were only a few), the shop spent about 1/2 hour with me discussing the launch areas and what all the rules were. They made it very clear that if I broke these rules that I was risking THEIR ACCESS.

Then when I hit the beach, the local riders explained these rules AGAIN (but of course I ASKED, like most experienced riders would).

If we are PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE, we hopefully shouldn't have any more problems.

What if:

1. FIRST, the shops/instructors explain the rules and the REASON for these rules.....
2. PLUS we all lead by example....
3. AND we watch out for new riders/non-locals and politely explain the local rules to them...

Hopefully we shouldnt' have any more issues and can PROTECT OUR ACCESS!

It is definately within our best interest as a business to keep access open to the sport. Just for that reason, I think we take that responsibility more seriously than most. We do not advertise galore all over the internet to come to Tampa Bay and ride. We don't really want that for our local scene. Tampa Bay is the best kept secret and we would like to keep it that way. Furthermore, we have designed a 3 hour lecture for each student to take them through the basics of riding a spot, which include detailed insight on Sunset Park and East Beach. Emphasis on launching kites in the water vs. on land, keeping a good safe distance from the beach, not riding in swim area, ect. is all covered. Lots of time is spent on the reality of bans and what can be done to prevent them. Again, a great deal of detail is being spent on these topics. I can't think of one kite school that is going to this length to educate their students about these topics. Our students don't even see a kite until after 3 hours of instruction. I think that is unheard of in the industry. Quite the exception and not the norm unfortunately.

I will however, post a riding map of Sunset Park for any visiting kiter to inform them of that space. Sunset is unique in that if you kite there, you will definately be sharing space with the public unlike many other flat water spots around the greater Tampa Bay area. However, be careful what you wish for, as posting a riding map will only push folks towards that location. Its a double edge sword IMO.

With all that said, your 2nd and 3rd suggestion will go along way as well. If we all work together, then we can hopefully spot potential problems from turning into bans.

Like I said earlier, I am not perfect and have made my share of mistakes, but I can only improve and try to set a better example as each session passes. By the way, I offered to put together an informative handout for everyone to have and distribute as needed, but it did not get much response. I don't think something like that could hurt. Thoughts????