Thread: 37 Years Ago
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:13 PM
budgy

The first time I tried to get scuba instruction I was on holiday in Hayling Island in the early 60's. It was one of the adventure activities organised by the hotel. They wouldn't take me, I was about 12 at the time it seemed you had to be 14 for just about everything. These days I just laugh at the memory. It was the last formal holiday I ever had. I always remained interested in swimmming and snorkeling but I never got an opportunity to scuba dive until the 70's when like Jacque Brel I was alive and well and living in Johannesburg. The equipment was very basic and there wasn't a qualified instructor available. My good friend Jacko, had a small cylinder on a back-pack and a reg, I think it was a healthways. We were both staying in Braamfontein at that time. He was working with computors I guess it started a trend it seems like 80% of the people on dive forums work with computors. He took me along to Wits University pool for my first try dive the instruction was very rudimentry. I don't think Jacko had ever had a formal lesson and living in Africa he'd never seen Hans and Lottie Hass or Sea Hunt like me. We all knew " When you come up dont hold your breath." If I remember rightly the reg set didn't have an SPG gauge or a J valve. I remember being told, "You dont need one "When it gets low it gets hard to breath" deco was covered sensibly, "The cylinder is so small, you run out of air before you get into deco, if you only do one dive a day, you dont need to know tables. Buoyancy control was by momentum and as Johannesburg is pretty warm, you didn't need a wet suit. My first try dive wasn't quite solo, there was only one set between the 2 of us, but he was snorkelling. My 2nd dive was in a local dam it was solo.