View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickI View Post
Hey Leo,

Here are some questions to think over. Have you practiced emergency depowering, body dragging upwind for board recovery, self-rescue, rules of the road and weather planning in your lessons? Did they cover what to look for in a good launch area vs. a bad one, kite size selection, etc.?

I will be interested to hear your responses. These are important skills and knowledge. Lack of sufficient background in these areas has caused problems in the past.

Questions answered:
I have been taught emergency depowering (4 ways) but have not practiced it except on a trainer kite.
I have been taught body dragginging but need lots of practice, especially upwind travel.
Self rescue was taught verbally, and my instructor showed me how, but I have not done it with a real kite.
Rules of the road - none -
Weather planning - Classroom taught, I am an offshore fisherman, so I know (somewhat) how to read the clouds and I know to avoid building storms because they create gusts, updrafts, downdrafts, resulting in either a crash or worse...
Wind selection - I know to look for a cross shore wind, vs. direct east or went wind, and my approriate wind speed is 8 -15
Kite selection - I did a lot of research and phone calls for this - and bought a kite with my instructor's advise...intentionally did not buy a board yet.

Before I say what I did buy, may I ask what YOU would have suggested?
After speaking with several retailers, they seem to have the same answer, so I am curious about your suggestion.

I am 6'3" and 275lbs. which kites do YOU think suit me best?

Launch area - I think I know the basics...little to no bystanders, big downwind clear area, no obstructions.........

The launch area issue presents a few questions for me. I want to be near others in case of emergency, yet I don't want to be the googan getting in the way. I want to in an area that allows .... or understands at least....
that I am going to make mistakes and stupid (non life threatening) rookie moves.

Does such a place exist?

I am a big believer in paying for my education, so I am taking a class and trying to practice. Am I premature? Too soon to solo body drag?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Anyone or group interested in a free boat ride to the sandbar?
I have a 26' Donzi/Proline offshore fishing boat that can accomodate six or seven and their gear.

Gary (Leo)