View Single Post
Old 06-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Skyway Scott

Definitely good posts. I also disagree that getting up and riding means anything. It's means very little, if anything. My very first lesson (with Paul Menta) I got up and rode on my first try. That sounds great, right? Not.

I rode approximately 300 yards (he told me to stop at 50 yards, btw) and then fell in the water. The kite crashed. I almost drowned getting dragged by the kite.

That's an extreme example, but a true story. I actually walked away from kiting after that lesson (1999) and waited until 2001 to return to it (when I saw others kiting locally). Riding is only a fraction of what you need to know to be safe and self-sufficient. Much of what can possibly go wrong and put you in trouble in kiting is not overtly obvious or common sense when you have limited experience. That's why the class at WSW, or similar, is such a good idea. You can discuss and learn many of these things.

Anyway, welcome to kiting Ken, have a great time, etc. Just don't underestimate things is my advice.
Unfortunately, this is a horrible time to practice and it gets frustrating due to the lame wind.