Thread: wakesurf ???
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 PM

I've done quite a bit of wakesurfing can assure you that you can ride even the small boards on knee high boat wakes with no pull what so ever. With a decent wake you can throw the handle back in the boat and just surf endlessly. Tip: don't try this with an outboard or I/O!

I've only had a couple opportunities to ride wakesurf boards behind a kite and not in waves yet. They're usually pretty flat and wide and work well for extremely light wind. I'm sure you could ride in really light wind on some small waves but would have to keep the kite moving as someone mentioned, probably not so much with more wind.

The most fun wakesurf boards seem to be the ones that are similar to skim boards but have fins. If you think about it... the main reason surf boards are so big is to make catching waves easier. If you watch a good skimmer once they get to the wave it's no problem riding it, just like wakesurfing behind a boat. Your kite can get you to the wave, then it's just a matter of keeping it from falling.

There's a couple true twin tip wakesurf boards out there that I think would work great, that way you don't have to do any shove-its, jibes, etc. Actually, I have a wood one I'm waiting to try on a light wind down winder when there's not enough to bother doing any jumps.