View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Excellent idea Jur! There are so many cays within a short flight for skilled pilots from Florida. I am not sure how many have a strip so close to the riding grounds though. Let's keep in touch and hopefully put something together one of these days.

Looking at the aerial images I had a feeling the cut between Great Harbour Cay and the next island to the south, Haines Cay, might be sharky. It is a deeper water channel into estuaries connecting to the Bay and open ocean after all. Still not totally sure but just came across the name, "Shark's Creek." Could be a hint? It is too shallow for much to move around at low tide so I would guess tiburons seeking to swim to the north and out into the Bay would have to hit mid or high tide.

A closer look at the Creek

As always, I wouldn't obsess about sharks, just be aware of when they are more common and the likely behaviors they might exhibit at the time if possible. If they are frisky, avoid the area or if just present avoid falling and staying in the water for long.

There is a bit of history to this place. Rockerfeller interests developed the Great Harbour Cay Club here in the 1960's. Cary Grant, Bridget Bardot, the Rat Pack (Dean Martin, Joey Bishop, Sammy Davis, etal) bought into the place and frequented it as well. Even Meyer Lansky of the Mob hung out there. In the mid 1970's the club was abandoned by the luminaries.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi