View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Yep, VMG seems necessary. Our stuff is really better set up for the moderate conditions on 13's or 11's with long lines. Near the end of the day, the wind persistently shifts to the left and then dies very quickly. Farley foots very fast into this shift to gain massive leverage. He is making the most of his equipment although I don't think it is the tops.

Damo has two near fatal errors in the series so far. Sailing the wrong course on day 1 was a biggie, but yesterday he took a small board, small fins, and down sized to a 9 all at the same time. It was the 3rd race of the day, about the time the wind dies. I was going to go for the 9, but I saw the cloud bank rolling in and stuck with the 11. Good choice as the wind fell fast and I had my best race, but damo ended with a bad one.

It seems as though when damo makes a bad call, Adam does too. Remember that Adam sailed the wrong course with damo and then yesterday Adam also went down the the 9 at the wrong time leaving him with a finish position just ahead of damo but well back in the pack.

So instead of a 1-2-1 the first day and a 4-4-(1... not sure if he could have one the last race yesterday, but this was his stuff), he instead ate a lot of points based on poor decisions. His ankles are hurting pretty bad and are no doubt affecting his racing, but he's ready to do battle today. No win comes easy! The winner of this event will pretty much have won the most competitive course racing event in the world to date.

For me, my hopes of a top 5 finish for the series are probably over so I'm really focusing one race at a time. I'd like to get 1 or 2 in the top 3 and try to avoid the 8's. I need to get more confidence on the tacks as I'm being far to conservative when cost me a few points per race. My body is holding up well, but I'm worn out. I will need to focus on cardo when I return as my breathing is pretty heavy on the windward legs. I'm not changing anything as I think my stuff is the best, it seems to be me than needs changing. On a positive note, I did try the new tack a few times yesterday (Bruno and Farley style with no line twist) and I'll be changing to this when I return home.

I've been trying to upload vids from the Go Pro, but it seems like it takes too long on youtube and facebook... suggestions?