View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Can't Re-member

Smile

Quote:
Raul.. any more advice for my upcoming gorge trip?

hows the water temp?
where did you ride the most?

I am staying at Lyle for a few days and want to check out the event site and Stevenson. Looks like Stevenson is a great place and less crowded than the event site @ HR.

whats the water depth at most of these places? I know lyle has some severe shallows but at HR and Stevenson (if you know)..

do you think booties are required?
Bryan,

I don't really think you need booties anywhere since its all sand, but getting to the launch sites alotta people use sandals b/c of rocks and peebles.
Water level is deep, at least it drops off rapidly after maybe 15-20 feet. Exceptions are at Lyle and the leeward side of the Spit, Stevenson is almost immediate dropoff and has a bad sketchy launch full of big rocks + boulders ( one guy just broke both his heels trying to launch ).

Temps gonna be 80's-90's daytime water maybe high 60's. I used my boardshorts and a lycra top almost the whole time. I don't even know if you need a shorty in August???

I pretty much just kited the event site / spit ( advice, just track upwind to the bridge . it's easy and you lose any crowds whatsoever ) , its not that crowded at all on weekdays. Got some good vid of Bruce in 30 kts on a 7m waroo for two of the four days he was there. We were on 9 m the rest of the time and only two days on 12 m and one day on a 14 m.

Yeah , Lyle is nice although I didn't kite there, may buy a property there tho' , its pretty cool.

Have fun, that campground looks real funky...