View Single Post
Old 01-11-2007, 07:21 AM
Skyway Scott

I am really glad that you guys helped these new riders out and it shows what a great community we have. I don't believe a kite would have hit shore, I was there waiting for it.
At no point did a rider get dragged, there just wasn't enough wind. If they had started to get dragged, it would have been straight at where I was. I don't think that is the issue, anyway. I think posting about 2 newbies "messing up" is the issue.

I believe if you want to say something (even forcefully) say it then and there.
The main reason I hopped on here is b/c they might be reading this and might be getting upset. The are new to our scene and as such, are still relative outsiders.

Woody did his best all day to stay out of our way and avoid collision, but practice too. There was never more than 6 riders in the water and it was light and a weeknight. I saw the accident, it was not due to negligence, but lack of ability when 2 newbies got close to each other. This is going to happen. When I was on the water with them, they were of zero concern to me. If I can't ride upwind of a newb, I should quit. Anyone knowingly riding very close to and downwind of a newb is taking their chances, imo.

Recently a new rider confessed in me that she was close to quitting after someone was yelling at her (for next to nothing). That's just not right to me and this seems similar.
Something in else made us help them out, let's not let them down now.

Newbies whether we like it or not, or not going to stop coming in (in HUGE numbers).
I (and other long time riders) have watched this place go from 6 total riders, to 12, to 25, to 35, to 55, to 100, to.... you get the point. New riders (with their errors) are here to stay.

If one of those two starts to show a history of being a dweeb (like Rick Day), let's get together and have a talk with them. Until then, what newbie didn't screw up once?

I know for a fact, Woody has always been respectful and asked for advice. He takes it and wants to be safe. I first met Woody 2 seasons ago at NB. He was windsurfing and I was kiting. I bet the gal on the TD is the same. These are not two mean spirited people we are talking about, these are kiters (in the best since of the term).

Just please think about it.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-11-2007 at 08:17 AM.