Thread: wednesday
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Skyway Scott

My experience is that it's a "wimp" or "gentle" loop if it's not thrown fairly early on the ascent of a jump. The earlier it's thrown, the more aggressive the horizontal pull and speed is going to be. Also, the harder it gets to land them due to the speed and timing with the kite.

The corollary to that is that the later you throw it, the easier it gets. Throwing it at the apex makes for a non-event really, and is very easy to land.

If you make a loop early during the ascent you can get relatively level with your kite and it is intense the speed and yank you get. Timing the kite for landing is difficult and you best pray your leg doesn't snap on landing.

I have done quite a few very early on the ascent and a few later in the ascent to experiment. I am trying to find a balance point right now where I still get yanked horizontally during the loop pretty good but not so much that the landing is next to impossible. I have pretty long lines, that's not helping. I might end up cutting off 5m from my Qline today to help me out. Doing the loop too early on the ascent is just asking for a world of problems. I've done way early maybe 5 times and man, I hope I don't screw up like that again.

So, if you want to insure that you land one, just throw it at the apex of your jump, not much will happen. Even less eventful and safe, throw the loop on the descent, I promise you nothing will happen if looped on the descent.
If you want to start getting yarded, gradually do the loops earlier and earlier after you take off, to the point it's a fraction of a second after takeoff (about 8 feet up on a 25 foot jump). I guarantee you have never felt anything like it and won't be able to land it :???: (so don't do it!)

I am going to give it a shot again today and get some on video. I can land loops easily if thrown late. I am trying to figure out how to land the powered ones thrown early. If I don't figure it out today, I am going to quit trying the really powered ones and just throw them at apex. The landings are too brutal to screw around more than one more day, imo.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 03-19-2008 at 09:37 AM.