View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM

steve-o, sand key is no longer controlled by the clearwater beach patrol, the county now has the contract, but the lifeguards are seasonal (and currently out of season). Really the only person at this point who would tell you to leave would be a park ranger, who would of course call the cops if you didn't comply. I've never heard of any kite restrictions there, people fly kites all the time at sand key park. The restrictions apply to the board and of course the activity of kiteboarding just the same as they apply to surfing there, which is that it must be performed in the designated area. Having said that, any day that there is a north/northwest wind and even the smallest hint of a wave, this designated area of sand key park will be filled with 100+++ surfers and more attitude than you'd know what to do with.

So is kiteboarding actually allowed in sand key park?? I think so, but more research should be done with the park rangers, and county ordinances. Should you kite there?? Probably not. I mean seriously, why pay for parking, lug your gear 300 yards down to the water and try to ride amongst a bunch of aggro shortboarders when you can drive 5 minutes down the beach and have the place to yourself??

As to the condo nazi wannabe police patrol, well, until i see his badge, and a law with a statute number, he can kiss my a##