View Single Post
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 PM

Default Crossing the line!!!!

Awhile back in the spring, we got a call from an IRB city official. A complaint was made by a long time resident about a kitesurfer near 27th Ave. He has been swimming near there his whole life, and on this day never felt as threatened as he did by an unidentified kitesurfer. The indiviual was buzzing by the swimmer and he almost felt he was trying to spay him. Perception is eveything, and clearly this swimmer and resident of IRB felt threatened enough to file a complaint with the city of IRB.

There is an individual that I expected as the culprit and although I don't have proof of the incident that day, just recently another kiteboarder that lives on 27th witnessed this individual being extremely reckless. Buzzing the shoreline, weaving in and out of swimmers, and repeadetly crashing his kite near swimmers with one crash having lines over swimmers. Needless to say his riding behavior cleared the beach. Everyone that was in the water in his vicinity got out of the water and just stood on the beach and watched dazed and confused. The rider seemed oblivious to the situation.

Long story short, this resident confronted the rider and his attitude was basically "I will do whatever the "F" I want. I don't need to follow the rules, I have been in the water my whole life. I got it under control."

Everywhere I have seen this cat ride, he has been a trainwreck. Closecalls with others, flying up onto launch sites at full speed and out of control resulting in trips to the hospital, hooking his kite up backwards, the list goes on.

Clearly, my attempts and others to talk some sense into this guy is not working. I can honestly say I have not witnessed such a wreckless riding practice as this guy.

Since verbal communication is not working, I thought I would try the forum to bring light to the situation. I am also making aware the local kiters of IRB of this individual with an attempt to catch him on video and share what we have seen.

This type of riding behavior will not be tolerated and I hope I have full support of the kiting community here in Tampa Bay.

I will not disclose a name on the public forum, however, if you want to get involved on this one, send me a PM. I will be glad to enlist some troops.

Call me what you want, but if it means protecting access 2 minutes from my house, I will do whatever neccessary.

Where's the wind?