View Single Post
Old 10-16-2006, 03:31 PM
tomstock

You are damn right about helping people by the rocks. I have ALWAYS made it a point to go down there and retrieve a kite or check on them.

ANY time someone has a kite in the water you should ride by and check on them. They could be unconcious, could be bleeding to death, or could just need someone to recover their board.

Maybe they will brush you off but maybe you will save their life.

Next, in my opinion (this is extreme I know), I don't believe beginners should ride at backside skyway. I think beginners who are up and riding should *avoid* the skyway and East Beach if there is a crowd. Wait until the crowd disperses a bit and then go out.

As for East Beach, it is just as dangerous if not MORE dangerous than the skyway. There are signs, trees, cars, people, slippery mud and grass, etc out there and even experienced riders have gotten hurt and almost killed out there. Bayflite Bryan has that nickname because of East Beach, and we had an experienced rider get seriously injured (surgery) a few months back because of the slippery mud at East Beach. I had a close call there when I made a newbie mistake and I am extremely fortunate to be alive and walking. I was dragged between the signs, trees, moving cars, and across the road on my stomach on a 18M kite in 30mph winds. At a big sand beach this would have been much less of a near death experience but at East Beach or the skyway it could easily have been fatal.

If it's light and empty, sure, but if there are 5+ riders out there, forget it.

I know, you're saying "Well, WHERE can I ride?"

Easy. Wait until the wind clocks west towards the end of the cold front. Then go to Big Beach Ft. Desoto (the standard place for beginners to ride) . There is plenty of room for walking up wind with kite, and there are no swimmers, and nothing dangerous to get dragged into. There is also 150 yards of grass land to catch your kite when you forget to connect your leash.

Once you fully understand the risks of riding at the crowded spots, then work your way in from the outside. I still try to avoid riding or jumping in the "jumping zone" at East Beach. This is the center of the beach where you'll find Jayson, Billy, Alex and some of the other guys trying unhooked stuff. Respect these guys and limit the amount of time you spend in that area. The sandbar is a nice place for beginners to eat shit.

Ok end rant... have fun, be safe.