View Single Post
Old 12-23-2006, 08:16 PM

Default Crazy Friday

Wow!!! I saw alot of crap go down that day. Dennis's kite got trashed by a reckless rider that alot of us saw coming. Guy was all over the road from what alot of us saw. Bummer is this guy offered to buy Dennis a brand new kite which was cool, but was a little suprised of the price. This dude is now playing hit and run and won't return anyone's phone calls.

I also felt lucky twice that day. First off, had a pretty rough launch on my 8 meter TD, line got stuck on something on the ground and kite started to roll down the beach. Eventually the wind got it, and it shot up like a rocket. Luckily with the bow kite technology everything went cool. Had that been a C kite, I would have been launched over the street, but would have pulled the quick release and probably lost the kite altogether.

Then I was coming in later on in the day, and as I was standing at water's edge, I heard someone shout "LOOK OUT!!!". I looked up and a kite was coming full speed at my head. Only had time to brace for the impact and LUCKILY the kite hit the ground and full speed about 1 foot infront of me. I would think had the kite hit me on the head at that speed, it would have broken my neck for sure. The pilot of that kite was a newbie and was getting guidance. Luckily we all walked away. Considering that could have been a horrible injury, I am bit surprised that the rider did not come up and apologize or at least acknowledge how bad that situation could have been.

Things we all should note for the day. If you are going to pass a kite in those winds, do it in the water, just in case something does fail. If you are going to try and learn the sport in those kinds of conditions, which is rather insane in the first place, let the experienced one launch the kite, and then pass it over in the water, again just incase.

All to often, we all get comfortable with these things, but as they say, shit happens, and we should always be thinking of the worst scenerios and avoid those outcomes when it all goes bad.

Dennis's situation may turn out negatively. I am hoping this guy will stick to his word and do the right thing.

Oh yeah and Scott, Gabe and I didn't miss the wind that day. Matter a fact, we got there just in time for the party.