View Single Post
Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default STRONGER WINDS COME TO TOWN

Wow, I woke up with the chickens before dawn, for a change, to get some early morning riding in before work today. I flew an 11 m kite but didn't rig it for max wind, but one notch under on the pigtails, as it didn't "seem" to be that strong. Anyway, I was pretty close to overpowered, whoops! Still it was an interesting session particularly given multiple lines of head high breakers.

More of this is on tap for day and over the next week or so. Winds of 20 to 25 kts. are predicted for today and Sunday in SE Florida. The winds on Sunday are predicted to be 25 to 30 kts. north of SE Florida up to the state line on Sunday. I have noticed that St. Aug. has been getting quite a few days of honking strong winds already.

Let's not leave the Keys out of things. I just noticed a 39 mph gust through Sombrero Key and 33 mph at Fowey! Honking strong stuff.

- If you are new to kiting, not setup for and/or comfortable with higher wind riding, it would be adviseable to sit this one out.

- So, MAKE SURE you have a small enough kite, properly rigged for wind conditions. Preflight, preflight again and why not do it a third time for good measure?

- ASK riders what size kite they are flying and how it has worked out for them.

- Keep an ADEQUATE DOWNWIND BUFFER & consider launching and landing unhooked.

- I would wear and helmet and impact vest. Then again, I always do. November has a BAD history for kiteboarding accidents and it is just getting underway.

There is a LOT more to powered up kiteboarding than the points listed above of course.

Have a care out there and have fun!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi