View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Another Accident At Hobie Beach

Have gotten limited information on a kiteboarding accident at Hobie Beach today in Miami. If anyone knows more particularly about how the rider is doing it would be good to know.

As to what happened, you could just see what happened in many of the other accidents at this dangerous launch and say, about the same thing.

Hobie is often chosen for SW winds. SW winds usually only come with cold fronts, cold fronts come with squalls and violent winds often enough. AND, the mainland shoreline is fairly close to the west, that means you get irregular wind through gust and lull cycles from land wind shadow effects.

Because of squall and wind shadow related gust cycles it is EASY to get lofted here. It is even easier IF:

- You ride inside the OUT OF BOUNDS swim buoys instead of doing assisted launches and landings out there, as required.

- If you ride through squalls

- If you stand on or near the 5 to 10 ft. wide "beach" boardered by mauling timber posts and parked cars.

Virtually everyone who has been lofted here was doing these things.

What I understand is this relatively new kiter had been out on a 14 m kite, was in the water inside the buoys (not sure if he was riding or standing).

A squall moved in from the mainland for all to see, the guy kept his kite up, didn't emergency depower or apparently do anything to effectively defuse the situation and was lofted/dragged downwind to almost the highway, I'm told.

He was apparently seriously injured with some saying he had broken something. His back was mentioned or a hip. I hope nothing was broken and he isn't dealing with paralysis or even worse injury right now. I don't know any specifics at this point but hope for the best.

Let's pull for this guy for a complete and rapid recovery.

p.s. - in the past ten or so years, there would usually be a plea for preserving access at this launch, as crappy and dangerous as it can be. Not going to bother at this point, as I understand it is to be closed regardless in the future. Not a lot of launches left in this populous county. Well, there's always domino's or cards in the future I guess. Avoiding most accidents and ban threats is EASY, if we try. If not ... so it goes.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi