View Single Post
Old 10-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloonboy
I used to do this back in Bermuda but on a windsurfer.
One of the hotels usded to shine bright lights into the surf at night- to better illuminate the swimmers for the sharks.

We would occasionally go out and rip it up. It is a unique sensation- like skiing when you have only partial vision due to the conditions.

Gotta do it at least once. It would be easy at a flat place like Blue Hill in a full moon. Very romantic too. Just you and the sharks.
I assume there are always sharks within sensory range whenever I am in the water in Florida and the Caribbean. Then again, just because you suspect they are there and they KNOW you're there, usually doesn't amount to much for kiters. Why this is, I really don't know but to date it seems to be the case with a few notable exceptions. I have no real feeling for sharks over your way or their behavior. I did hear a duzie of a hammerhead - spearfisherman encounter from Kent the other day. How do you say no to a large hammerhead when it shows untowards interest, like within a couple of feet of your face? Good thing we don't spearfish while we kite. It is a novel experience, I would try to have a solid feeling about nocturnal dining habits though.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi