View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Skyway Scott

Kevin, of course you can try it out.

I have been up to 165 and down to 140 in kiting.

My experience is that in the lighter winds their is an advantage to weighing less. In the heavier winds, its not how much you weigh, its how strong your legs are, technnique, etc. All you gotta do is watch Billy ride an 18.5m in 20+ to see that is true. In lighter winds tho, if you use a bigger board, BAM.. you now weigh less (in a way)

So for the TDs, if you were on a smaller board and your dad on a Super Phatty I think the ranges would be about the same. Here is my educated guesses (only have 3 full days on each kite)

14m TD...low end SOLID 10 knots Upper end pushing 16 for average rider

10m TD... for you Kevin on a SP.. no lie 11 knots (Donna rode it barely upwind at the EB BX in 8.4 when no one else was riding on a 157 Wavetray)
Upper end on smaller board ----- pushing 25 knots for average rider.

Kevin. The TDs.... hmmmmm..... you asked. I advise trying all the brands of bow. Try the Caution Answer, the Flexi Ion, or yes... the Best Waroo. Try them all, don't just buy one without riding others. I bought my TDs based somewhat on brand loyalty, but, I am an not a blind worshipper of brands. I would try other brands.

Please try several bows before just getting one. I can't recommend the TDs myself (as being obviously the best) because I think the other kites may be just as good for the cash (Best) or maybe better for equal cash. Also, everyone wants something different from a kite.
My main complaint about the TDs- they feel grunty and don't turn all that fast.

I wish we had more stuff to demo (as in every single board and kite made.. that'd be SWEET!)
Luckily, we got guys like E-bone and others that let us demo THEIR gear.