View Single Post
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

We are looking at a new state law governing all of Florida. We started with what amounted to a bloodbath for kiting access, with loss of considerable sections of coast to kiting in parts of the state. This in the apparent absence of complaints or problems around the vast majority of airports in the state to my knowledge. Then a fallback position was negotiated which amounted to about half as many long term launches falling under the knife. This was unacceptable to me and a number of other kiters. Fortunately, we were able to work something out more functional for all parties concerned thanks in large measure to the aid of a smart, clear-headed administrator at Sarasota Bradenton International Airport.

"A person may not engage in kite boarding or kitesurfing within an area which extends 1 mile in a direct line long the centerline of an airport runway, and which has a width measuring one half mile unless otherwise permitted under Federal Law,"

You can see the full current text of "CS/HB 347: Commercial and Recreational Water Activities" at: http://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill...illText/c1/PDF

Checking googleearth, this doesn't seem to impact many existing kiting areas I am aware of in Florida. We came a tremendous distance from blanket prohibition to something I believe we can live with, with minimal impact on access. It sure beats a five mile or even two mile prohibition from the entire airport perimeter which was where things were going with three hours to spare.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 05-19-2014 at 10:10 AM.