View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: How about kiting int he intercostal around North Bay Vil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEsco48
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=North+Bay+Village,+FL&ie=UTF8&z=13&ll=25.84 98,-80.156078&spn=0.114164,0.21595&t=k&om=1

north and or sound of the "U" shaped island...
I've been wondering the same thing myself for a few years. It is a large body of water. I would think there will still be some wind shadow impacts, e.g. gusts in the area. Inland kiting can really suck due to uneven winds caused by land effects. Riding in such areas can put special demands on the rider for some pretty intensive kite control. You can be drifting downwind into a seawall, pilings, over hanging trees, etc. with no real options to avoiding things. You need to know when to pull the plug, i.e. totally depower your kite to the water before it gets tangled on this stuff. You can drift pretty quickly too mounting the decision pressure. The wind can still pull you into things even when depowered. It can get pretty technical. Kite and rider damage can happen. I would look to some more experienced riders for their experience in this area before cutting new ground yourself. In trying to save a charter fee to the Flats you could cost yourself quite a bit more.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi