View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 02:14 PM

I can't speak for the northern half of FL, but the southern half has many great places to learn. The trick is which side of the state will be windy. The keys are always your best bet and there are some great places to learn in The Keys. Key West (thekitehouse.com - Paul Menta) and Islamorada area (sevensports.com - I think Brad still teaches down there). Both of those areas have nice large shallow areas to learn. House rental prices may be high, but check with Paul or Brad and they might have something - or suggestions.

In SW FL there is Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach, Naples and Marco Island (flat water to learn). If it's blowing out of the West this is a nice area to ride with many easy to access beaches.

On any East wind, there are many places & schools to learn in SE FL. If you do a Google search for "Kiteboard Miami" you will find many schools around Pompano Beach, Lauderdale, Miami, etc. Key Biscayne (South Miami) is a beautiful flat water place to learn but look into the rules before heading there. There are a lot of rules on this coast so be sure to talk with some locals before going out on the East coast of FL.

There are many other great places in Florida like Tampa & St Augustine, but I'm not sure who teaches in these areas. You can check out kitemare.com (Tampa) or oceanextremesports.com (St Aug) for some local info.

Just be sure you are comfortable going out on the water or at least have someone that comfortable in the sport near you before hitting the water. Accidents can happen easily if you are unfamiliar with the conditions & area. Once you pick a rental location, post a few questions about that area and maybe someone can help you further.

Last edited by cybersunshine; 10-08-2008 at 05:16 AM.