View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Skyway Scott

We'll figure it out with time. (this inversion gig) I haven't had this happen yet, but I think being overpowered and pushing the envelope on the higher end of a kite might make it more prone. I don't know. Only personal experience is going to solve this riddle for me.

I do remember a phenomenon polesurfing where we could get backwinded if on too big a sail in higher winds. That sucked and all makes of sails were prone to it.
Basically, we shot so high upwind and other things going on, that more wind got on the "top" of the sail than "underneath" and BAM... we would get whacked and pushed down into the water. The more cambered the sail was the more prone it was. Most kites are really cambered compared to the sails we used. I don't know if it's the same phenomenom or not, but the thought kinda freaks me out a little.

I know that I won't be putting up a 12m anything in 30 and pressing my luck to see if it's the same deal on a kite. I will probably be on a 7m Ion.
Isn't 30 still alot of wind?

Hey, I have an idea. Everyone buy one bow/sle/hybrid (whatever) of a different brand of 12m size and on our first cold front, let's all sheet in and sheet out like mad in the 35 knot gusts while trying transitions.
First one to invert and get whacked wins :shock: