View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: Wanting to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taos
New to the board, and had a question. I am heading to Cozumel next week and am really wanting to learn how to kiteboard. I am a big guy 6'3 270 pounds. I have been windsurfing for 15 years, and dont have a problem. Will my weight make it harder for me?

Thank You
If there is enough wind, your weight shouldn't present much of a problem. I am guessing but if the wind is much more than 15 mph with a reasonably sized kite, after training, I think you should be OK. In higher wind, say around 20 mph and up you may be the one with a weight advantage! As you have been windsurfing for quite a while and at a higher weight you have a strong appreciation of wind, sail and board size necessary to get you going. There are parallels to this in kiteboarding.

You may have a harder time in the lower wind range, say around and below 15 mph perhaps. Larger kites are far more efficient than they were only a few years ago. So, even though you will be on larger sizes in the lower wind range than some others, the kites should still behave reasonably well these days.

I am not familar with kiteboarding schools on Cozumel. There is ChiroJoe's operation not so far away at Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. He has a nice warmup guide on the website as well at:

http://www.kiteboardmexico.com/web/KSSG_elbow.htm

You can checkout Tulum while you are over there.

Have a good trip.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi