View Single Post
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyway Scott
We had 4 simultaneous ones 3 years ago here in Tampa Bay.
I even caught them on film. Let me look around for it. It was funny, we had Zack Kaplan kiting in the foreground (for all of 1 minute).
Funny shot. The funnels were about 3 miles behind him.
Please see if you can find it, it sounds interesting. I am reminded of a similar situation that I fell into at Crandon Park a couple of years ago. I was playing with a skimboard for the first time with an 18 m kite in fairly light wind. Still, it was easy to get up and going. The sun was out and it was partially cloudy. I was trying to edge offshore with a nearly onshore breeze and was concentrating somewhat. Paul Menta was on the beach with an instructors class. He called out to me and said I should look behind me. I did, there was about a 1000 ft. high waterspout roughly 1/2 mile offshore and moving our way. Whoops!

It vanished before coming close to shore, still it isn't like these things necessarily ring bells before they move in. Sometimes you just have to see them. It is a good idea to always be looking around, no matter how distracting your activity might be. Live and learn.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi