View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 02:32 PM

Was crew for a 31 foot sloop rigged sailboat on a weekly regatta at Davis Island in Tampa .. this was about 2 or 3 years ago.

It was a bit stormy out and we were having a good time. Our boat always came in last.. but we always had the best looking women and the most beer. A winning combination in my opinion.

A few of us started making comments on how the clouds looked like they did in the movie Twister and my girlfriend even said "ooooh I think we might get a waterspout"..

Sure enough.. not more than 1 minute later the clouds started to twirl and we all saw the damn thing form ...

it was on the far side of the bay.. probably 1000 yards.. maybe more. maybe less.. I am not good on judging distances (case in point.. my new waroo in a tree just last week ..ugh!!!!)..

I guess it was far out enough to where I didnt feel like it was going to be an issue with us but was more in awe of what I had just seen.

A few of the passengers on the boat didnt see it that way. At least 2 ladies ran downstairs and began sobbing and crying that they didnt want to die. The captain was getting ready with the motor in case the thing looked to be moving closer.. it seemed that it was going away from us.

As quickly as it has appeared a few minutes later it faded out and was gone. Everyone on board had a few extra drinks toasted many to the gods of wind for protecting us.. and again.. we came in dead last in the Regatta.

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa