Thread: ski rixen
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Default Re: ski rixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrik1
I went to ski rixen a little while ago thinking it would be a good jump start to learning to kiteboard. Well that thing almost pulled my arms out. I was on a kneeboard, becuase they made me use that. I'm not sure if my arms were just not strong enough or just bad form or what, but I could not get around the first turn. It is a 90 degree angle. Is the pull of the kite as strong as the cable whipping you around like that? It seems it would be more fluid and you have a harness to help out a bit.

The cable park is a good training ground for developing board skills. I think Andy Hurdman, a pro kiteboarder gives lessons to kiters there (561-the-kite). The park will surprise you at first, you almost stop as the cable makes a 90 degree turn and speeds up to 20 mph plus in seconds. You also need to pass between those 6 ft. wide buoys to have a better shot at making the turn. Finally you need to learn how much, when and where to lean to deal with the changing tow line tension. Wait till you try it on a kiteboard or wakeboard, the kneeboard takes it a bit easier on you. Still, it isn't that hard to do, you just need some input on the technique. Also, properly done, it won't pull your arms out of their sockets.

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi