View Single Post
Old 08-21-2007, 07:15 PM

oldschool..

problem w/ that is that you dont know who is the newbie or not..
2 seasons ago i knew everyone at every launch i did..

last season I might have recognized 25%.

its a zoo out there.

i think a single color to signify "competent" & single color to signify "mentor" would be fine..

new riders would not have a band .... would never want to put a "newbie" band on anyone and no one would want it that way.

i am thinking something that attaches to the back of the harness or clips to the safety leash.

basic scenario would go something like this:

you are at the beach.. see someone rigging and they dont have a color band / harness clip thingy and you simply go up and talk to them..
they say they are visiting from somewhere and have been riding for 2 years then you say .. cool have fun..
no band needed..

or..
they say they are local and just got lessons and you tell them about the color bands and let them know that once they are up to competent level they should get one so that they are not questioned every time they show up at a beach.

if they are backside you might say "hey .. this is not a place for beginners.. you should go to ***** instead.. "..

if this is a positive thing for all, it will more accepted. if its used as a way to discriminate against new riders, then its absolutely pointless.

we would need to agree on who could distribute the bands.. should not cost anyone a single cent.. just something they can wear to show they know what they are doing so us old folks on the beach dont have to wonder about every single unfamiliar face we see.

we might need to get a handful of locals together at the undertow to talk specifics..

Area Launches: http://tinyurl.com/284jfa