View Single Post
Old 05-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Thermal wind ...

It is VERY good right now. Will it continue, who knows? For now though it is great and rarely are there the usual storms sweeping to the ocean from the Everglades. Historically, thermals go in May, ease in June, pick up in July. I guess we'll have to see what comes this year.

Case in point, what blew through Delray last night, Friday, May 5, 2006:

and through Delray on Saturday, May 6:

and through Delray on Sunday, May 7:

I see it is going yet again Monday, May 8, a bit lower 15 gusting to 17 kts. Still respectable useable wind.

windgraphs from Jay's windomatic

None of this wind was forecast by NWS. Sometimes they mumble something about a "sea breeze" but not currently.

There have been a lot of thermal winds lately and often without the storms. The later factor is presumed to be related to the drought conditions. The guys from Tampa report similar good thermal winds, it is probably going off statewide I would imagine. Although all areas don't seem to have thermal winds at the same times necessarily.

Often good sea breezes seem to come to our area after a hot, clear warm day. If it clouds up in the afternoon, the sea breeze often fails to fully develop. The sea breeze is usually sideshore and may overwhelm more regional winds. For instance an advancing cold front may have shifted the wind to the SW, W or NW. An afternoon seabreeze can create a local sideshore wind at the coast. NOTE: as sunset approaches the sea breeze can die suddenly, often after but sometimes before sunset. The wind then shifts offshore in short order. You don't want to get caught out by the wind shift. Guys have lost boards and they themselves could get lost as well.

More about sea breezes at:
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/(Gh)/guides/mtr/fw/sea/htg.rxml
http://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/75846.pdf

The seabreeze can start as early as noon, but more commonly builds up around 3 to 4 pm.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi