View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin

Heading up to the Outer Banks of North Carolina, a few years back in 2002. My timing has been off for kiting visits to OBX, usually for lighter winds. Still, it is an intriguing area with lots of sights and things to do.

A look at Waves, with waves no less. No Bahamas in the way gives you a LOT of fetch to build swells in. (CLICK PHOTO FOR FULL SIZED IMAGE)

The digs out on OBX, Barton's Hatteras Island Sail Shop, http://www.hiss-waves.com/ . He has a nice upstairs apartment. I understand this is a favorite starting/ending point for downwinders.
(CLICK PHOTO FOR FULL SIZED IMAGE)

A PL kite goes up as the rain eases

Want to work on your suntan and do some flights off the sandy bunny slopes? Kitty Hawk Kites can take care of you. I felt real bad for the instructors out there in this intensely hot "mini Sahara." I am very grateful that all my early training flights were almost a 1000 ft. over Biscayne Bay with boat tow without a sand dune or sandy face plant in sight.

They have all these neat stilthouses along the shore. Hope the hurricanes have left them in place.

Photos by Rick Iossi

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 07-25-2008 at 07:44 AM.