Water and Land Committee including:

Senator Clayton Hee
Chair - senhee@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Senator Russell S. Kokubun
Vice-Chair - senkokubun@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Senator Carol Fukunaga - senfukunaga@Capitol.hawaii.gov@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Senator Jill N. Tokuda - sentokuda@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Senator Paul Whalen - senwhalen@Capitol.hawaii.gov

I sent it with the subject line: OPPOSITION TO S.B. #2091 - Ocean Recreation; Sailboards

The letter, (so it's wordy, do a shorter one):

Senator Clayton Hee:

I am shocked that this bill has been proposed to heavily restrict and virtually ban both windsurfing and kiteboarding in Hawaii. Hawaii has been globally recognized as the prime destination for both windsurfing and kiteboarding for a very long time. Both sports were either started or in large measure developed and expanded through the marvelous ocean environment and culture of strong watermanship bound to your islands.

I have visited Hawaii on multiple occasions as have numerous friends. Our primary reason for these visits often several weeks to months in duration was to practice windsurfing and kiteboarding. Substantial revenues were earned by numerous Hawaiian businesses in these visits. If Hawaii legislates against these sports, ironically against global activities largely born and nurtured in these islands, many avid tourists some who vacation in Hawaii several times per year will have to travel elsewhere. This decision would not be voluntary but would be forced upon them by the Hawaiian Legislature in an ironic twist. Numerous Hawaiian businesses dependent upon windsurfing and kiteboarding will also suffer and may fail as a consequence of this measure if passed.

Kiteboarding can coexist with other water activities. Hawaii has a rich and long tradition of surfing, fishing, swimming, canoeing and more. These activities can be reconciled with windsurfing and kiteboarding through effective management. Such management has been successfully called upon to reconcile surfing, fishing, swimming and canoeing through responsible practices hundreds of times across the globe. Good management can improve the safety at which many things are practiced from automobile and aircraft operation to even the practice of windsurfing and kiteboarding. Does government exist to serve the people or to harm commerce, livelihoods and beneficial tourism?

I strongly request that you not support this bill which will not only cost Hawaii well deserved tourist and retail revenues but also potentially destroy a decades long global reputation as a primary birthplace of windsurfing and kiteboarding.

Sincerely,

PLEASE send those letters out, not so many hours left before the deadline. 9:45 pm EST, 3:45 pm PST, or 2:45 pm in Hawaii, TODAY!

transcribed by:
Rick Iossi

Last edited by ricki; 02-15-2008 at 04:44 PM.