Thread: Wind on Sunday
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 PM

I was there last Friday when folks were launching or walking through. Stood there for 15 min surveying the situation. Concluded that the up draft potential to pick you up and land you in the trees or road is way too real.

Pumped up the kite carried my bar, board, and kite unrigged ( upside down) through the opening walked out over a hundred yards to the NNE. Put the kite leading edge down on the dry grass flat with the board on the leading edge and walk the lines out in 2" of water hooked it all up and put the kite into the shallow water let the lines come tight to the SW and water launched. I was never anywhere near the mangroves or another kiter. My riding buddy and I landed each others kite in the same area rolled up the lines and carried the kites back.

The post of the kiter that got hammered and dragged over 600' in Jupiter was the result of a very simular set up. The updraft that lofted him was onshore wind hitting a sand wall caused by beach errosion but the shape of the ridge line is the same be it treeline of mangroves, a building, or a sand dune. Rember the depower on a kite doesn't work effectivly if the wind is hitting it from the underside.

BTW Scott, I hope you don't get to win or loose your bet.