View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 04:19 PM

Windrider, that is the main reason to not go to fwc...

In the past, I have been outspoken about not regulating...but...as with some other sports I have been involved with, if we do nothing...on a larger level...we stand to loose out...

The regulations I'm talking about (and let me first say that I don't pretend to have all the answers) are simple and non-threatening to the way we currently ride. That's just the point. We propose some regulations on a state-wide level...instead of non-kiters proposing those rules on us. Many (or all) of the rules won't have any affect on the way we (most of us) currently ride...just like boating rules...we all still have a great time boating, but you better have your life jackets on board...

And Rick, Neil is on... The FKA should be the voice of Fla Kiting...and the liaison between kiters and the organizations that rule the land. The Area Coordinators were and are a good idea...

Ultralight aircraft regulations are similar. The FAA DOES NOT regulate ultralight aircraft...they proposed a nasty law that would have basically eliminated ultralights (like the Hawaii proposal) and then the FAA granted an EXEMPTION from the FAA laws to three organizations nationwide. One is the United States Ultralight Association. The USUA PROPOSES rules to its members and presents them to the FAA on a scheduled basis. To operate ultralights legally in the US, you must be a member of one of those organizations (EAA is another) and agree to adhere to all the regs or you loose your exemption.

The FWC has a temporary license program that gives boaters the chance to get a license on the spot (at livery operators and other designated areas) for $3...it is a 25 question multiple choice test given on behalf of the state...it is good for a year. IT IS A GREAT PROGRAM for someone who wants to go boating or PWC now but doesn't have a license. They MUST go fill this thing out and keep it with them while they are on the water. It shows that...at least...they were exposed to the rules of the road and some safety info... Not everyone needs this...only under 22 years old...

A program could be designed in coordination between the FKA and FWC's boating safety division where the FKA determines what is good kiting and bad kiting (already done), where kiters can kite and where they can not kite (kind of already done) and any other issues we have.

This would kind of resemble "BOAT SMART", the FWC's program to keep boating safe and fun in Florida.

The FWC would grant the FKA permission to regulate the sport in FLA (as long as the FKA meets the criteria...non profit, voters...etc...). You must register with the FKA for free or really cheap if you want to kite in Florida. If you are visiting the state, you MUST go to a location, online...something...to take a test and ...at least...get exposed to our rules.

Anyone breaking the rules runs the risk of loosing their license and their privelage to ride. And...the FWC and local law enforcement have the authority to enforce the laws.

Very similar to ultralights...

In the beginning of ultralights, people thought, who cares if they crash and kill themselves...then people crashed into stuff and took passegers down with them...so came the FAA rule...fortunately for pilots today...some people got together back then and decided to regulate themselves in order to keep the privelage