View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Skyway Scott

Toby,

I saw it too. It seemed like an innocent mistake by two new riders who both still have minimal skills but are trying.

I really respect everyone helping out, but... I told Roy I was driving my truck down the beach about 40 yards (just in case) to grab a kite, if need be. We all actually just watched for several minutes before Eric decided to go in. As he went in, I drove my truck to where the kites might come ashore. They were in shallow water and able to stand.

The wind was so light that I think 3 running out in the water may have been overkill. It made it look worse than it was. The kites truly lacked any power to do anything.

After having said that, I was very impressed with everyone's willingness to help out and get wet, etc. It's great to see everyone help. Better safe than sorry, etc.

Really sorry to see Roy's phone get trashed, that's for sure.

I don't know about the TD rider, but I watched Woody (Red Waroo) all afternoon.
He walked out aways always before launching and was very aware and respectful of his surroundings. He was doing everything he could to be safe.

I bet you are right about someone getting taken out this season.
Not to be morbid, but I place my bets on someone on shore just about to launch getting tangled by a trickster close to shore. That seems to be the most dangerous place to be with a kite around here, is right on shore with your back to the action. That's where I see most tangles occur and unfortunately, trucks are usually about 1 second away.

Last edited by Skyway Scott; 01-11-2007 at 12:08 AM.