View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Thumbs down bad decisions at the Skyway today

There was another close call at the Skyway North launch today. I was out on the sandbar with Amber watching the whole thing go down.

One newbie got close to another newbie late this afternoon and there appeared to be a short casual conversation between them. The wind was extremely light and when one of them tried to dive their kite, they ended up with a lull, then a gust which sent the kite into a loop and around the other newer rider's lines. The rider who was flown into was flying a 12M Turbo Diesel and immediately threw the bar (instead of trying to untangle the lines and staying calm) which now put them both at risk as the 12M Turbo Diesel powered up and began to loop. The wind was VERY light and they began to get drug. Ebone ran in quickly and grabbed the first kite (a 15 Waroo) but the TD was still powered after crashing post 2-3 kiteloops and was beginning to power itself up again. Roy ran into the water in his street clothes and helped get the second kite under control along with Trent who charged downwind and had to dive off his board, crash Ebones Ion and grab the powering Turbo Diesel. Roy walked the TD back to shore once Trent had it.

Eric said he just about sh!+ his pants when he saw his kite being dumped near this mess. Classic!

The real kicker here was that all 3 of these guys unselfishly risked a lot to help these newbies. Roy had his $500 cell phone destroyed from salt water that was in his sweatshirt pocket. This was all brought to their attention and that additional lesson(s) might be a good idea. They both shrugged it off each time saying they just need water time with one of them telling Roy "take it easy, just dry out your clothes". Not even a "I'm sorry you destroyed your cell phone saving me" or a "thank-you for saving my @$$" out of her. This rider had tried to launch with their lines crossed instead of just spinning the bar and almost took out a couple of other riders on the beach a couple of times prior to this as well.

I am pretty certain that if that had happened on a day with 5-10 knots more of wind, someone would have most likely taken a trip to the hospital if not the morgue.

Lesson learned...there are too many people just showing up to these launches and putting kites up and being careless. Stay upwind of anyone you don't know is a seasoned rider and even then stay alert. I'd be willing to bet anyone good money that someone WILL get taken out HARD (besides Dennis by Rick Day) this season...it is just a matter of time...

Last edited by toby wilson; 01-11-2007 at 11:22 AM.