View Single Post
Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Just joined forum

Thanks for the advice. I cannot figure out from this point what to do. I blame it on the wind, but I do feel kind of like it may be enough power. As soon as I dive the kite I start to plane, I try to carve into the wind, and then turn the kite upwards back into the power. It usually just dies at that point, but sometimes I can pump it just right where I get another small plane.
So frustrating! Tell me this... If the wind is blowing Dead North, I should be kite boarding West to East and back right?

I have a 12Meter kite, how much do you think the wind should be blowing for me to get some good riding in. The highest I have been is 14 mph, and I was still tea bagging.

I really feel like I am carving into the wind incorrectly. Or just not going the right direction period. That is why I want some really powerful wind because I just want to plane and go wherever for now..until I get better at carving and stearing the kite.

Thanks! Have a good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio9
I've been at Loan Oak point every weekend. North point of Caladesi flying and practicing. Best wind I have had is 14 knots. I am finding out its not enough, or I am doing something wrong. I've been tea bagging real bad for maybe 20 feet and then lose all power.
Hi Gio,

If you have enough power to teabag (gut pulled out of the water and dunked a few times) you have more than enough power. After you dive the kite, immediately edge into the wind and continue to dive (actually sine) the kite until you build enough aparent wind to maintain your speed.

Edge further up wind to control your speed so you dont end up on a rollercoaster ride of increasing speed until you finally eat it.

If you get overpowered and feel like you can't slow down, push the bar out, and either edge hard into the wind or go straight down wind... either of these will dump power, but edging up wind to dump power takes some strength... you have to sort of muscle the kite to the edge of the window before it dumps the power. Niether dumps power instantly so make sure you have room to slow down.

have fun.