Thread: Race Kiteboards
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2009, 09:29 AM

Howdy,

You will actually see fins on the newest course boards are actually more straight while last year they and angles of out to 35 degrees. The difference is that now boards are being ridden more flat while last year fins were geared toward driving a board that is on an extreme edge.

Because boards are not gaining as much from the lateral resistance won by using a full edge, this years boards must use fins for both lateral resistance as well as lift. Generally guys are trying to get away with as much fin as they can hold on to off the wind.

Most of the competitive boards this year are quads while last year twins seemed to be the way to go. I noticed that the larger fins are now being moved far forward and around the front foot. This really allows riders to drive off this fin while pushing hard up wind.

While these course boards are really outstanding in light wind and upwind angles, I wouldn't wish one on anyone to use during a down wind event. It might be the case that some of these boards will do ok off the wind if smaller fins are used.

I think that it is clear that there are about 3 makers of boards that have stuff that is working. Bruno's, NJS, and Mike Z.

Stuff seems to be stabilizing around 20-21 inches wide with 17 inch tails. Longer boards in the 6 ft. range allow for more nose scoop and generally work better on rough conditions. Smaller boards down to around 5'5 are very good in flat water and reduce windage on the nose.

I'd personally recommend getting a course board if you live in FL as it will triple the amount of days you get on the water and add a totally new dimension of "cruising". Good Luck.

PS. all of this being said, I'm still looking for a good course board and don't have a clue as to what to get or what will work!